Caring for your conversion
Please take note of the following best practices regarding converted data. By following these simple guidelines you will not experience problems going forward with your converted information in Sage Accounting.
DO NOT AMEND OR DELETE CONVERTED TRANSACTIONS
If a historic balance must change please create a new journal, Invoice, Bill, Credit note or Bank transaction to achieve the desired adjustment.
The 2 main reasons for this is the following:
- The Sage Accounting API currently does not allow bank statement lines to be imported and reconciled. Thus we create direct bank transactions during conversion. If these are deleted they are gone, it will not appear as unreconciled transactions in Sage Accounting.
- In certain scenarios (because of system differences) we have to use suspense accounts to get the data across to Sage Business Cloud Accounting. Deleting or amending these transactions causes the suspense account to go out of balance.
Please use VAT reports from the previous system for VAT submission purposes
If you converted mid VAT period simply generate the VAT report in the previous system for converted transactions, then generate the VAT report in Sage Accounting for transactions processed post-conversion. Simply add the two reports together to calculate final details for VAT submission.
You will need to adjust the balances of foreign currency bank accounts and foreign currency customers and suppliers
All foreign currency transactions will be converted using the base currency as standard.
We advise you do the following:
- Bank accounts: Create a new bank account using the correct applicable currency. Transfer the balance of the converted bank account to the newly created foreign currency bank account by using the correct currency ratio. NB remember to make sure the balance in Sage Accounting of the new foreign currency bank account reconciles to the physical bank statement.
- Contacts: Create a new (foreign currency) contact account. You will now need to move the balance of the converted contact to the newly created foreign currency contact. You can do this by creating an Invoice/Bill/Credit note to a suspense account for the entire balance of the base currency contact. Then you need to move the balance of the suspense account again to the newly created foreign currency contact. You can do this by creating an Invoice/Bill/Credit note to a suspense account for the entire balance in the required currency using the appropriate currency rate contact.
Setup of document number continuity from your previous system
Once the conversion has been completed, Sage Business Cloud Accounting will by default use the document number “0000001” for each individual document type to begin the auto-document numbering sequence.
In order to set up the continuity from the document numbers used in your previous system, you would need to do the following:
- Log into the converted organisation on Sage Business Cloud Accounting and select the following menu options: Company > Change Company Settings > Documents and Statements > Document Numbers
- For each document type, insert what the next document number should be under the “New Document Number” column – this would be the number that follows on the last document number used in your previous system for each document type.
- Once completed, select “Save” or “Save and Close”
Account types that cannot be created during the conversion
During the conversion, default sales and purchases accounts could not be carried over from the previous system to Sage Business Cloud Accounting for individual inventory items. For each inventory item, the default account would be the system Sales and Cost of Sales accounts.
The default Sales and Purchases account per inventory item would need to be set up again post-conversion by completing the following steps:
- In the converted organization, select the following menu options: Items > Lists > List of items
- Select the inventory item you would like to edit
- Under “Item Accounts”, select the drop-down menu and select “(Add New Sales Account)”
- Type in the name of the default sales account and save
- Follow the same process as above for the Purchases account
- Once complete, select “Save”